ROSS ROSES HISTORY

Ross Roses is Australia’s oldest rose specialist nursery, established in 1902 by George Ross in the Adelaide hills region of Norton Summit.

In these early days rose plants were produced in the rich soil and sold to the Adelaide markets to on sell to their customers.

George’s son Alex helped in the family business eventually setting up the operation closer to the markets of Adelaide in a suburb of Torrensville then as the city expanded further out in Edwardstown.

Alex also had a son, Deane, who worked in the company until he took control of the business in 1958 when he changed direction of the company and started a retail side of the company.

A property in Bedford Park was purchased in the emerging new southern suburbs.

Sales of roses continued at the site for over 20 years until the need to move again saw Deane’s son Andrew continue the tradition when the nursery moved to the old town of Willunga.

Andrew took control of field operation soon after the Willunga nursery was in operation and after Deane’s early death in 1993.

Total control of the company is now done by Andrew and Deane’s wife Maureen.

From these early beginnings the Ross name has continued to grow and now has become entrenched as one of the names in Horticulture in Australia.